November 23, 2015
Do I Have Hyperhidrosis?
Approximately three percent of the population suffers from excessive sweating, also known as hyperhidrosis. The sweating is not related to nervousness, physical activity, or body temperature and is usually limited to the feet, hands, and underarms. Most people first experience the condition in adolescence or young adulthood. Unfortunately, many individuals with hyperhidrosis live with the condition for years before seeking treatment.
Symptoms of Hyperhidrosis
Most people with hyperhidrosis are otherwise healthy; however, the condition can be embarrassing and drastically affect your quality of life. While the amount of perspiration that is considered excessive is somewhat subjective, the following may indicate that you have hyperhidrosis:
– You have to change clothes frequently due to underarm sweating.
– You have to changes socks multiple times during the day because your feet are sweaty.
– You avoid shaking hands because of sweaty palms.
– Your sweating has caused difficulties in your personal or romantic relationships.
– Your hands are so sweaty that it’s hard to hold a pen to write, or the sweat soaks into the paper.
Common Treatments for Hyperhidrosis
The first line of treatment for hyperhidrosis typically involves the use of over-the-counter or prescription antiperspirants. These antiperspirants are inexpensive and provide relief for many patients when applied to the armpits, hands, and soles of the feet.
When to Consult a Professional
Additional treatments are now available for patients whose excessive sweating cannot be controlled by antiperspirants.
– Botox® injections can reduce sweating by blocking the signals from the nerves that control sweat glands.
– The Vaser® system uses ultrasound technology to normalize sweating. The system uses ultrasonic energy to destroy sweat glands in the underarm area. Vaser® suction then removes the fat and sweat glands. This procedure typically results in a 70 to 80 percent decrease in sweating.
The Medical Center of Body Rejuvenation Treats Hyperhidrosis
You don’t have to live with the embarrassment of excessive sweating. The Medical Center of Body Rejuvenation offer treatments for hyperhidrosis, including Botox® and Vaser®. Call us today or use our online appointment request form to schedule your consultation.