November 5, 2015
10 Facts About Platelet-Rich Plasma
Platelet-rich plasma is an easy and natural way to promote healing in both regular medicine and cosmetic surgery. Here are 10 facts about platelet-rich plasma, or PRP, that many people don’t know:
1. It is made of plasma enriched with blood platelets. Plasma is simply the straw-colored liquid that contains a person’s blood cells, while platelets are tiny bodies responsible for wound healing.
2. PRP is made from the patient’s own blood. A small amount of blood is drawn from the patient and put in a centrifuge to separate the platelets from the red blood cells and other components. By the end of the process, PRP has five times the amount of platelets found in blood.
3. Because of the concentration of platelets, PRP has a wealth of growth factors. These include insulin-like growth factors, interleukin 8, growth factors for connective tissues and epidermal growth factors.
4. PRP may seem like a newer treatment, but was first used in 1987 during heart surgery.
5. Now, PRP is used to treat arthritis, bone fractures and chronic pain. Additionally, PRP is used in a variety of other treatments like the O-Shot, P-Shot, and female urinary incontinence. It even looks promising for promoting hair growth in people suffering from hair loss.
6. PRP is very effective in treating the causes of lameness in horses.
7. PRP is popular among some professional athletes, and at least two star football players had PRP therapy before their team went on to win the Superbowl. Golfer Tiger Woods also benefited from PRP therapy.
8. Because PRP is drawn from the patient’s own blood, there’s no risk of rejection.
9. PRP does not fall under Food and Drug Administration’s usual regulations. Instead, it falls under the aegis of the FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research.
10. The vampire facelift uses PRP along with dermal fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane.
Learn More About Platelet-Rich Plasma at The Medical Center of Body Rejuvenation
PRP is a safe and effective way to treat a variety of medical and cosmetic issues. If you’re interested in learning more about PRP, call The Medical Center of Body Rejuvenation today. We offer a variety of PRP treatments to help you look and feel your best. Give our office a call at (727)800-3336 to schedule a consultation.